Ramblings, photographs on a haphazard basis

Monday, February 18, 2008

Momentary embarrassment


There I was at the scene of a traffic accident. A fuel delivery truck had rolled in a ditch and there were all the regular emergency personnel standing about. The truck driver had been whisked off to hospital, the hazardous material crew was just arriving from Yarmouth, and I was standing around having taken shots of everything that moved, talked or threatened to leak gasoline.

Here's the embarrassing thing: I was still thinking like a print journalist, albeit one who figured to write up a story back at the office, process some of the hundred photos or so, and then post it on the newspaper's website.

What about my cell phone?

Yes, I have a cell phone capable of taking a photo and uploading it to an email address. Okay, I did think of it in the end and took a few shots that were difficult to see (phones are worse than cameras for that), and sent one back to my office after phoning in a story. Photo and story were online in minutes and I felt like I'd discovered a new world.

Mind you, not having a zoom function proved something of a liability since firemen were keeping every electrical item away from the gas fumes. I wonder if I can get a 300mm f/2.8 lens for this Samsung?

I stumble along, learning the occasional new trick and that seems to keep me going. Things could be worse.

No comments: